*

*

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Sydney Quilt Show & "Quilts on the Downs"

I went on an adventure in July.  I headed to the Sydney Quilt Show all by myself, flying up early in the morning, catching a train to the city, then a ferry to Glebe Island, the venue for this event.  It was fantastic, the weather was perfect, I got to relax and get a bird's eye view of the beautiful Sydney Harbour.

I got to catch up with some special people......


Linda, Susan & Chooky

Jean & Cardy

Quite a Gathering!

The quilts in Sydney are quite different to what we generally see in Melbourne and I really enjoyed this Exhibition.  Here are just a few of my favourites.  

My Drayton Hall - Lorraine Wheeler

Thoughts of Yesteryear - Lorraine Haworth

Errant Geese  - Jessica Wheelahan
(I really loved this one)

In The Night Garden - Liesel Moult

Metropolis - Hunters Hill Quilters

Birds of a Feather - Trish Gibbons

Aunty Greens Coverlet - Trudy Johns

Big Birds & Friends - Maureen Teager

Enchantment - Trudy Johns

Coxcomb & Currants - Janet Treen
(bloggers that follow Janet will recognise this masterpiece)



Of course, a visit to a quilt show is not complete without some shopping.  Two Kantha quilts and a bag later ........

I came up with one bag and went home with three!

After an amazingly fantastic day, I headed back on the ferry to Darling Harbour and then onto my son's home for the weekend.

On Saturday night we went into the city and Darling Harbour to watch the fireworks display and have dinner.  This is my new favourite dessert - Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart from I'm Angus Steakhouse.

It was a great weekend away and I can't wait to do it all again next year. 

This is the flyer for the Inaugural Quilts on the Downs Quilt Show and if you are able to go, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  Heather and her helpers have been working really hard to put it all together and I think it is going to be a huge success.

I've had a bit of help writing this post today, and it's the kind of help I could probably do without but he is nice and warm from the heat of the laptop and purring his little heart out.

Sue-Anne xxx








19 comments:

Judith said...

Thanks for showing us all these wonderful quilts, not to mention desert!

Jenny M said...

Great quilts...thank you for sharing your photos with us. I went to the Sydney Quilt show a few years ago (fly up from Melb)it is a wonderful show and hope to go again.

Joyeq said...

Love your Blog Sue-Anne. Thanks for sharing.

Shirley said...

Love the sound of purring kitties. Contentment. Great show and tell and how wonderful to have so many blogging buddies all together in one space.

Cardygirl said...

It was lovely seeing you too!

Julia said...

It was great to meet up with you too....who knows we may do it again next year...there or in Melbourne.
Julia ♥

Susan said...

It was a lovely surprise to meet you at the show. There were some great quilts on show, I always feel like racing home to sew after seeing an exhibition. Glad y enjoyed your little escape to Sydney.

Barb said...

thanks for the amazing inspiration! wow is all I can say about these quilts - and your dessert ;)
What a sweet kittie!

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - such beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing. The dessert looks really yummy - and your helper is so adorable!

Lesley said...

Princess Pussy loves to sit by the laptop you would think it is cold at my house definately not.

Beautiful selection of quilts and always great to share. Lots of inspiration also.

Chookyblue...... said...

great pics from Sydney.........was wonderful to see you again in Sydney..........

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Thanks for sharing those wonderful quilts and finishing with dessert.

LuAnn said...

Beautiful quilts. Looks like a wonderful trip. I like the finish of Auntie Green. Also like seeing Ann Daggs in a different color way. I've found the original fabric but really like the blue border.

Lynne said...

Hi from sunny UK Sue-Anne. Lovely photos thanks for posting them. Interesting to see that traditional style applique is not only 'back in fashion' but winning rosettes again. Nothing against experimental contemporary art quilts, but nowadays I love a spot of appliqué, and there are some beautiful examples here. What wouldn't i give to do a Margaret Sampson George workshop , mentioned in your previous post!

Unknown said...

Sydney is an amazing city and I also love adventure.Nice to know your story.Nice photos...
Holiday Traveller

Unknown said...




SEO Freelancer Delhi
This is really a great post, i have read this whole content and i believe that if you pots this type of content then this will really helpful for your site, so thanks for the sharing this poem with us.

kajal sharma said...

Amazing and good post very good comment is very different post, your most different thing is that your post is very unique.
Gurugram vip girl
Gurugram party girls
Guragon Hotals Services
VIP Hotals Services in Guragon
Call Girls In Hostal Guragon
Vip Hostal In Guragon
Hostal Girls In Guragon
VIP Girls in Hostal Service

Ronnie Finance Ltd / Financial Services For Help said...

Are you looking for a loan to clear off your dept and start up your own Business? have you being going all over yet not able to get a legit loan Company that will loan you? Here is your final solution, We can give you any amount you need provided you are going to pay back within the period of time given without any problem Contact us via email: ronniefinancehome247@gmail.com

Ronnie Finance Ltd
Whats-App on +91 93118 56893
Email apply@ronniefinance.ltd
http://ronniefinance.ltd/fastloan
Dr. Mark Thomas

Unknown said...

Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty
ភ្នាល់បាល់